Sunday, January 19, 2014

Obligatory New Year's Resolution(s)

I thought long and hard about what to aim for this year. What to do, what to change, who to do, etc...Apparently I need to come up with a list of all that. Or some say I may just need to have one resolution.

I have always wondered if there was actually a history to this whole New Year's resolution thing. Who thought of it? Or it's really just so ingrained in us, socially, that whenever a dawn of something new approaches, we promise ourselves to be better for it. whenever a new baby is born parents make promises to themselves that they'd be better parents. The same as athletes at the beginning of a new season or students at the beginning of a new semester.

Most people just decided to improve themselves here and there at the end of last year as we ushered in the year 2014.

Why?

I told Josh once that it's hard for me to make wish lists for my birthday and christmas because if I want something and I could get it, I would have gotten it instead of wishing for it. If I couldn't get it at the point when I first wanted it, people can bet that I'm working on it.

As far as I can remember I do not ever have a New Year's resolution.

I decided that I need to start going to the gym as soon as my pants gave up on me and ripped in the middle of a mall.

I decided to travel more because I now make my own money from slaving myself as a desk jockey...so I deserve some Fuzz time.

I intermittently decided to eat healthier because I got some plans coming up. i.e. Summer vacation, visits to Seattle, a hot date, etc...

I decided to be a better partner because the distance has given me time to reflect on how I wasn't a great partner to Josh during our first few years.

I decided to spend more quality time with my family because I realize that I may not have that much time left to enjoy their love  and the headache they give me.

I didn't wait for January to start something. I make a decision as soon as the fact hits me. And sometimes the decision is to, simply, not do anything...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_sZQP36bt4




No comments:

Post a Comment